Stuffed with a savory ground beef mixture, these zucchini boats are topped with mozzarella and baked for a delicious, refreshing dish.
- 3 medium zucchini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (3.5 fluid ounce) wine glass red wine
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup beef stock
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a 9x13-inch baking dish with foil.
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Chop and reserve about 3/4 of the seeds for the stuffing.
- Fill a large bowl with ice and cold water. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add zucchini boats and cook uncovered for 4 minutes. Drain in a colander and immediately immerse in ice water for several minutes to stop the cooking process. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add ground beef; cook and stir until browned and broken into very small pieces, 5 to 7 minutes. Add rosemary, thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper and stir some more. Quickly add reserved chopped zucchini pulp, onion, and carrot; continue to cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes. Pour in red wine and Worcestershire and allow to cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add beef stock and cook for 3 minutes more. Simmer until mixture reduces, about 10 minutes.
- Place zucchini boats in the foil-lined dish and divide meat mixture evenly between them. Sprinkle each with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cheese is browned and bubbly, about 30 minutes.