This filling vegetarian stew is great year-round. Serve with a dry Chardonnay and crusty bread.
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¾ cup small fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- Bring the barley and water to a boil in a pot. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes, or until tender.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat, and cook the onion and garlic until tender. Season with rosemary. Mix the mushrooms, yellow bell pepper, and wine into the pot, and cook 5 minutes. Stir in the cooked barley, beans, tomatoes, and spinach. Season with red pepper flakes. Continue cooking 10 minutes, or until spinach is wilted.