If you cool chocolate ganache and whip some air into it, you get a fluffy frosting that's easy to pipe and full of intense chocolate flavor.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 (2 ounce) bars 72% dark chocolate, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon finely ground coffee
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Bring cream to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add chocolate; let stand for 10 minutes without stirring. Add coffee, vanilla extract, and salt. Stir slowly in concentric circles until ganache is smooth and glossy.
- Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Refrigerate until chilled through, 1 to 2 hours.
- Whip ganache with an electric mixer until soft, fluffy, and lighter in color. Be careful not to overwhip, or you'll end up with stiff, grainy chocolate 'butter' that's hard to pipe.