These are chocolate cookies with walnuts, rolled in confectioners' sugar and baked.
- ½ cup shortening
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (Optional)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time then stir in the vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; stir into the creamed mixture. Stir in walnuts if desired. Cover dough and chill for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Roll the dough into walnut sized balls. Roll the balls in confectioners' sugar. Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.