A family favorite comfort food, serve this vegetarian slow cooker baked beans dish with hot dogs or cornbread.
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 1 quart water
- 1 (4 inch) piece dashi kombu (dried kelp)
- 1 small onion
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- ½ cup dry mustard
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 cup hot water, or as needed
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke flavoring, or to taste
- Combine beans in a large bowl with enough water to cover by 1 inch. Soak overnight.
- Drain beans the next day and place in a pot with 1 quart fresh water and kombu. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer 30 minutes. Drain beans.
- Place onion in a food processor and puree. Spread puree into the bottom of a slow cooker insert. Add drained beans and enough fresh water to cover.
- Mix vinegar, dry mustard, ketchup, molasses, brown sugar, and black pepper together in a bowl and stir this mixture into the slow cooker. Cover top with aluminum foil and slow cooker lid.
- Cook on Low for 4 hours. During cooking, check every 1 to 2 hours to ensure beans are covered with water; add hot water as needed. At 4 hours, transfer 1 cup beans to a bowl and mash. Return mashed beans to the slow cooker. Continue to cook another 6 hours.
- Stir in liquid smoke before serving.