Eggplant and mushrooms are braised in hearty red wine for a vegetarian version of the classic French boeuf Bourguignon.
- 1 pint brown champignon mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 large carrot, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled and slightly crushed
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, leaves removed and chopped
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- ½ cup hearty red wine
- ½ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Cut any large mushrooms in half.
- Heat a heavy-bottomed stew pot over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and onion; saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add carrot, garlic, thyme, and rosemary; saute until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Do not burn the garlic. Stir in mushrooms until they absorb the flavors. Add eggplant chunks and saute until they soak up the flavors.
- Pour in red wine and deglaze the pot by scraping up any browned bits with a wooden spoon. Pour in broth. Mix well and add tomatoes and tomato paste. Reduce heat and simmer until carrot and eggplant have softened and the liquid has reduced, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Let stew stand for about 5 minutes before serving.