Freekeh is a super grain made from roasted green wheat that is high in protein. This vegan Turkish salad is simple to make and full of flavor.
- ¾ cup freekeh
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, or more to taste
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, finely chopped
- 1 small bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds, or to taste (Optional)
- 4 lettuce leaves
- Rinse freekeh in a sieve under cold running water. Drain. Place into a pot, add water and salt, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until water has been absorbed and freekeh is soft, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Transfer freekeh to a bowl. Mix in olive oil and lemon juice. Set aside to cool, about 10 minutes.
- Add bell pepper, green onions, parsley, and mint to freekeh; mix well. Stir in lemon zest and pomegranate seeds. Serve on lettuce leaves.