Vegan sweet potato chili, made with kidney beans and diced tomatoes, is an easy cool-weather meal for lunch or dinner.
- 5 tablespoons vegetable broth
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ jalapeno pepper, minced
- 2 eaches sweet potatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups drained and rinsed kidney beans
- Heat 5 tablespoons vegetable broth in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir onion, garlic, and jalapeno pepper in the hot broth until slightly tender, about 5 minutes. Add sweet potatoes, chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, and red pepper flakes to onion mixture. Pour remaining 2 cups vegetable broth over sweet potato mixture.
- Bring vegetable broth mixture to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until sweet potatoes are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Stir tomatoes and kidney beans into sweet potato mixture and simmer over low heat until flavors have blended, about 45 minutes.