Upgrade your pasta with this vegan eggplant sauce made with a rich blend of garlic, canned whole tomatoes, deep-fried eggplant, and Kalamata olives.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon white sugar
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup vegetable oil for frying
- 1 eggplant, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons pitted Kalamata olives, sliced
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir onion, carrot, and garlic until onion is golden, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, sugar, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer; turn heat down to low. Continue simmering, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat vegetable oil in a separate pan over high heat. Fry eggplant slices in the hot oil until lightly browned, about 2 minutes per side. Drain eggplant slices on paper towels.
- Mash the tomatoes in the saucepan using a fork for a less chunky texture. Remove from heat. Add eggplant and olives; stir gently to incorporate.