Made with vegan ingredients, these homemade strawberry jam-filled Pop-Tarts(R) are perfect for on-the-go sweet breakfasts or dessert.
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup ice water
- ¾ cup strawberry jam
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 drop red food coloring, or as needed
- Scoop tablespoons of shortening onto a plate and chill in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl and chill for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Crumble shortening into the flour mixture with your fingers until no large clumps remain. Add 1/2 cup ice water to the mixture, a little at a time, until dough reaches a shaggy consistency. Knead on the countertop a couple of times to combine. The dough should appear a little too dry.
- Place dough back into the bowl or a large container and cover with a lid. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Roll dough into a large rectangle, about 1/8-inch thick. Cut into twelve 4x6-inch rectangles.
- Place about 1 1/2 tablespoon of strawberry jam in the center of 6 of the rectangles. Brush the edges with water and top with the other dough halves. Seal the edges of each tart with a fork. Trim the edges for neater tarts, if desired.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the edges are lightly browned, 15 to 25 minutes. Let cool, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Combine powdered sugar, almond milk, and food coloring in a bowl for icing. Drizzle icing over the cooled tarts.