Try this easy recipe for vegan carrot cake made with a batter of spelt flour, dairy-free milk, coconut oil, and walnuts and frosted with a fresh lemon icing.
- 2 ½ cups spelt flour
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup soy milk
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup applesauce
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups finely grated carrots
- 2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 ¾ tablespoons vegan butter
- 3 tablespoons soy milk
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Mix spelt flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and baking soda together in a bowl. Mix soy milk, coconut oil, applesauce, coconut sugar, and vanilla extract together in another bowl. Fold flour mixture into the milk mixture until just combined. Add carrots; whisk well. Add walnuts and stir to evenly distribute.
- Pour carrot cake batter into the loaf pan and even out the top with a spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Turn cake out onto a cooling rack.
- Beat confectioners' sugar, vegan butter, and soy milk together in a bowl using an electric mixer to make the icing. Add lemon juice, vinegar, and vanilla extract. Mix well. Frost cake once cool.