This bright orange vegan soup full of carrots and butternut squash will please your palate with refreshing hints of ginger and orange zest.
- 6 tablespoons cold-pressed olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- ½ butternut squash - peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 6 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 6 cups water
- 2 cubes vegetable bouillon
- 2 teaspoons diced ginger
- 6 thin strips orange zest
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium-low heat and saute onion, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add butternut squash and carrots; cook and stir for a few minutes. Do not let the onions brown.
- Add water, vegetable bouillon, ginger, and orange zest to the pot. Increase heat to medium and slowly bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until carrots soften, about 20 minutes.
- Remove orange zest strips and discard. Blend soup into a smooth puree using an immersion blender. Season with salt and pepper.