This squash dish is sweetened with sugar and pineapple. Serve as an alternative to sweet potatoes or yams with a turkey dinner.
- 3 cups mashed, cooked butternut squash
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup margarine, melted
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease one 2 quart casserole dish and set aside.
- Combine the butternut squash, white sugar, brown sugar, margarine, pineapple, cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg. Mix well and pour into casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with chopped nuts and bake for 40 to 45 minutes.