Pierogies, kielbasa sausage, and cabbage feature in this satisfying casserole that combines Ukrainian ingredients in a unique way.
- 15 frozen pierogies
- 1 teaspoon butter, or to taste
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 (13 ounce) package kielbasa sausage, chopped
- 4 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 dash lemon pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pierogies; cook until they float to the top and filling is hot, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a large casserole dish with butter.
- Combine onion and 1 tablespoon water in a large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in sausage; cook until warmed through and crisp around the edges, about 5 minutes. Add cabbage; cook and stir until starting to soften, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Whisk 1 cup water, yogurt, tomato paste, dill, and lemon pepper together in a small bowl. Pour over the kielbasa-cabbage mixture in the skillet; cook until flavors combine, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Place pierogies in the prepared baking dish; pour kielbasa-cabbage mixture on top. Cover baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until hot and bubbly, about 30 minutes.