Turkey meets mole poblano sauce for a Thanksgiving makeover including 5 chiles, spices, nuts, tomatoes, tortillas, and Mexican chocolate.
- 2 dried pasilla chiles
- 2 dried guajillo chilies
- 2 dried ancho chile peppers
- 1 dried cascabel chile
- 1 dried morita chile
- 3 large Roma tomatoes
- ¾ cup vegetable oil, divided
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 whole cloves
- ½ teaspoon sesame seeds
- ¼ teaspoon coriander seeds
- ⅓ cup sweetened dried cranberries (such as Craisins®)
- ⅓ cup unsalted peanuts
- ⅓ cup chopped almonds
- 2 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- ¾ Mexican hot chocolate drink tablet (such as Nestle® Abuelita)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 ¼ cups turkey stock
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 pounds leftover turkey meat, or to taste
- Heat about 3 cups water in a microwave-safe bowl for 3 minutes.
- Heat a griddle or comal over medium heat. Toast pasilla chiles, guajillo chiles, ancho chiles, cascabel chile, and morita chile for about 1 minute. Turn chiles over and toast until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove stems and seeds. Place chiles in the bowl of water; cover and let soak, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Place tomatoes on the hot griddle. Cook until blackened on all sides, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a blender.
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Transfer onion and garlic to the blender using tongs, tilting the skillet to reserve the oil.
- Toast cloves, sesame seeds, and coriander seeds in the hot skillet until fragrant and lightly browned, 30 to 60 seconds. Place in the blender. Cook cranberries in the skillet until toasted, about 1 minute; place in the blender.
- Pour an additional 1/4 cup oil in the skillet; reheat over medium heat. Stir in peanuts and almonds; cook and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add to the blender, reserving oil in the skillet.
- Place tortillas in the hot skillet; increase heat to medium-high. Fry until slightly crisped, about 1 minute; place on a plate. Add the remaining oil and chocolate tablet to the skillet; cook and stir until melted, about 2 minutes. Pour into the blender.
- Place softened chiles and 1/3 of the soaking liquid into the blender. Add salt, white pepper, cumin, and oregano. Blend until smooth. Tear tortillas and add to blender; blend mole until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a large pot over low heat. Stir in broth slowly and add cinnamon stick. Simmer until slightly thickened and flavors meld, about 1 hour. Remove cinnamon stick. Pour mole over reheated turkey.