Here's a heart-healthy and delicious soup that's easy to customize. Just add or delete ingredients to suit you own tastes.
- 16 ounces whole-wheat pasta shells
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- ¾ cup water
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- 2 cups roughly chopped kale
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Stir in the pasta, and return to a boil. Boil, stirring occasionally, until cooked through but still firm to the bite, about 12-15 minutes. Drain well.
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot; add turkey, onion, and garlic. Cook over medium heat until meat browns and onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in sage and rosemary and cook for about 1 minute, do not allow herbs to brown. Pour the broth and water into the pot along with the garbanzo beans and tomato paste. Bring to a boil and add kale. Simmer until kale softens, about 5 minutes. Season soup with salt and pepper.
- To serve, place a serving of cooked pasta in the bottom of a soup bowl and ladle hot soup over.