This baked pasta dish uses whole wheat penne, ground turkey, and low-fat cheeses.
- 1 (16 ounce) container low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, or more to taste
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (1 pound) package whole-wheat penne pasta
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 (13.5 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- Preheat an oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Stir the ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, garlic, salt, and pepper in a bowl; set aside on counter to allow to come to room temperature.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil; cook the penne in the boiling water until cooked through yet firm to the bite, about 11 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- While the pasta cooks, place a skillet over medium heat. Crumble the turkey into the skillet; cook and stir until the turkey is completely browned. Drain and add to the pasta.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of the spaghetti sauce into the bottom of a 13x9-inch baking dish; stir the rest of the spaghetti sauce into the pasta and turkey mixture. Spoon about half of the pasta mixture into the baking dish; top with the cheese mixture and spread into an even layer. Spread the remaining pasta mixture over the cheese layer. Cover with aluminum foil if desired.
- Bake in the preheated oven until slightly brown on top, about 30 minutes.