Shredded cooked chicken and broiled onion rings are added to chicken stock with a chopped jalapeno pepper, tomatoes and lime juice in this soup served with crushed tortilla chips, cheese and avocado.
- 9 cups chicken broth
- 6 cloves roasted garlic
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 2 peppers fresh jalapeno peppers, sliced into rings
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken meat
- 1 lime, juiced
- 6 (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut into strips and toasted for garnish
- In heavy pot, bring the broth to a boil. Add garlic, tomatoes, chopped onion, jalapeno, and oregano to the stocks. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Broil the sliced onions until soft and a little brown. Add broiled onions, chicken, lime juice to soup, and simmer till chicken is heated.
- Place toasted tortilla strips in each bowl and pour soup over strips.