Gouda cheese and anchovy paste add natural savoriness to this fast tomato bisque made with potent canned tomatoes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup finely chopped carrots
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole peeled San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup shredded Gouda cheese
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Heat a stockpot over medium heat. Coat bottom with olive oil and butter. Add carrots and celery and cook until soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Add tomato paste and anchovy paste; cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes. Add canned tomatoes, chicken broth, basil, garlic, and oregano. Blend using an immersion blender until smooth.
- Bring soup to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Add Gouda cheese, cream, and ketchup. Stir to melt cheese. Remove from heat; season with salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley.