Italian style stuffed bell peppers for the vegetarian (can easily be prepared vegan). Even my meat-eating husband loved these.
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (12 ounce) package extra-firm tofu, drained and diced
- 1 ¾ cups marinara sauce, divided
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 medium (blank)s red bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 2 medium (blank)s orange bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 slices tomato
- Place rice and water in a pot and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 45 minutes, or until tender.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, and stir in garlic and tofu. Cook about 5 minutes. Mix in 1/4 cup marinara sauce, season with salt and pepper, and continue to cook and stir until tofu is evenly brown.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Using a wooden spoon or spatula, press an equal amount of rice into each pepper half. Layer rice with remaining marinara sauce, and 1/2 the cheese. Press equal amounts of tofu into the pepper halves. Place 1 tomato slice on each pepper, and top peppers with remaining mozzarella. Arrange stuffed peppers in a baking dish.
- Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until cheese is melted. Serve 1/2 of each color pepper to each person.