Chef John's ultimate berry crumble delivers the perfect balance of berry to crumble, sweet to tart, and tender to crisp, making it the ideal summer dessert crowd-pleaser.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon fine salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ¾ cup frozen unsalted butter
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, or as needed
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Combine flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar in a bowl. Whisk until thoroughly combined. Grate in the frozen butter, stopping occasionally to toss the butter into the flour mixture until coated. Drizzle in vanilla extract; add egg yolks. Stir with a fork until egg is mostly absorbed. Add vinegar; mix briefly. Use your hands to finish mixing, squeezing until clumps but mixture remains mostly dry. Add 1 teaspoon vinegar if needed.
- Combine blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries in another bowl. Add lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar, and cornstarch. Sprinkle in cayenne pepper. Mix until sugar and cornstarch are mostly dissolved.
- Place about 1/2 of the crumble mixture into the bottom of a 2-quart baking dish. Press mixture down using a flat cup until well compacted. Spread the berries over the crust. Sprinkle the remaining crumble mixture on top, squeezing some of it into clumps.
- Bake in the preheated oven until top is beautifully browned and berry syrup bubbles on the surface, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.