This Southern-style sweet potato casserole is decadent enough to be considered dessert, making it the best side dish for the holidays.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- ⅓ cup evaporated milk
- ¾ stick butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 1 stick butter, melted
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place sweet potatoes into a large pot and cover with salted water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and mash.
- Mix white sugar, sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, melted butter, eggs, vanilla extract, and salt together ina bowl using an electric mixer until smooth. Spread into the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Mix pecans, brown sugar, melted butter, flour, and sweetened condensed milk in a bowl and crumble topping over sweet potato mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 25 minutes.