Rich, moist, easy chocolate cake to feed a crowd. Small serving is more than enough. Great for community dinners or large get togethers of any sort.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup shortening
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Sift together and set aside in large bowl the flour and sugar.
- In saucepan over medium heat bring to a boil; 1/2 cup margarine or butter, 1/2 cup shortening, 1 cup water, and 4 tablespoons cocoa.
- Pour cocoa mixture over flour and sugar mixture. Stir in buttermilk, eggs, baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Mix well and pour into a greased and floured sheet pan.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) oven for 20 minutes.
- To Make Frosting: Five minutes before cake is done, bring to boil in a saucepan 1/2 cup margarine or butter, 6 tablespoons milk, and 4 tablespoons cocoa. Remove from heat and immediately stir in the confectioners' sugar, nuts (if desired), and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Beat until smooth and immediately pour frosting over cake. Cake may be served warm or at room temperature.