If you're looking for a squash casserole without cheese, you've found it! This simple recipe combines the sweet, subtle flavor of yellow squash with eggs, margarine and onion, and is topped with bread crumbs.
- 5 pounds yellow squash, sliced
- 2 large eggs eggs, beaten
- ½ cup margarine
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large saucepan over medium heat cover squash with water and cook until tender, about 10 minutes; drain and mash.
- To the squash add eggs, margarine, sugar, onion, salt and pepper. Mix well and transfer to a 2 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle bread crumbs on top.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.