Leafy collard greens, served warm with a tangy honey, ginger and balsamic vinegar dressing, make a delicious and nutritious vegetarian side dish or salad.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ Vidalia or other sweet onion, sliced
- 1 ½ pounds collard greens - rinsed, trimmed and chopped
- ½ cup water
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in collard greens, in batches if necessary, until they wilt slightly and all fit in the skillet. Pour in water and cook, stirring occasionally, until bright green and tender, 5 to 7 minutes, regulating heat to prevent burning. Drain.
- Meanwhile, whisk vinegar, honey, ginger and butter together in a serving bowl for dressing. Add greens to bowl and toss with dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper; serve warm.