A savory meat and bread mixture seasoned with chili powder is baked into a buttered button mushroom cap in this appetizer which is served hot.
- 12 medium (blank)s fresh mushrooms
- ½ pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Remove and chop mushroom stems.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine ground beef, onion, and garlic. Cook until beef is no longer pink; drain. Mix in chopped mushroom stems, 1 tablespoon butter, bread crumbs, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in cream.
- Dip mushroom caps in 1/4 cup melted butter, and stuff generously with meat mixture. Arrange stuffed mushrooms in a baking dish. Sprinkle with chili powder.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven.