Delicious rolls of breaded eggplant with the taste of eggplant Parmesan are stuffed with a garlicky Italian cheese filling and baked. Serve with your favorite tomato sauce or cream sauce, sprinkled with cheese.
- 1 large eggplant, ends trimmed
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, or as needed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs eggs, beaten
- 1 cup dried bread crumbs
- vegetable oil for frying, or as needed
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- ½ cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with butter.
- Slice eggplant into 1/4-inch thick slices lengthwise; discard the end slices with skin. Lay the eggplant slices on paper towels and sprinkle both sides generously with sea salt. Let slices drain for 30 minutes; rinse and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place flour, eggs, and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip each eggplant slice in flour and shake off excess; dip into egg and then into bread crumbs.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat and fry the slices until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels, place on baking sheets, and refrigerate eggplant for 10 minutes.
- Mix ricotta cheese, Romano cheese, and garlic in a bowl; season to taste with salt and black pepper. Place a cooled eggplant slice onto a work surface and mound 1/3 to 1/2 cup of cheese mixture in the center; roll up slice and place seam side down into the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining slices and cheese filling.
- Bake rolls in the preheated oven until filling is hot, about 25 minutes.