The classic flavors of chicken Parmesan and chicken cordon bleu combine in this sub sandwich that makes a hearty, decadent dinner.
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 cups Italian-style salad dressing
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 egg
- 3 cups Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided, or as needed
- 10 slices prosciutto, chopped into chunks
- 4 cups marinara sauce
- canola oil as needed
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, or more to taste
- 4 Italian sub rolls
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Slice each chicken breast down the center to make 4 cutlets. Place each between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and pound to about 1/2 inch thinness with a meat mallet.
- Marinate chicken breasts in Italian dressing in the refrigerator overnight.
- Remove chicken to bring to room temperature 1 hour before cooking.
- Combine flour and baking powder in one bowl, milk and egg in another bowl, and bread crumbs in a third bowl. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a pan over medium heat. Cook prosciutto in the hot butter until it starts to brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Bring marinara sauce to a simmer in a saucepan.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Lay chicken cutlets out flat. Line 1/4 of mozzarella cheese down the center of each and sprinkle 1/4 of prosciutto over cheese. Fold cutlets in half over the stuffing and secure edges together with toothpicks.
- Dunk rolled chicken into the flour mixture, then egg mixture, and finally bread crumbs.
- Drop chicken into the preheated fryer and cook until crumbs are golden brown, chicken floats, and is no longer pink in the center, 6 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to let grease run off.
- Cut sub rolls down the centers and spread remaining butter into interiors. Assemble sandwiches in the following manner: bottom sub half, chicken cutlet, marinara, provolone cheese, Parmesan cheese, and top sub half. Transfer subs to a baking pan.
- Toast in the preheated oven until bread is crisp and cheeses are melted, about 2 minutes. Serve hot.