Butter, garlic, lemon juice, and olives liven up simple steamed asparagus in this easy side dish recipe.
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 pimento-stuffed green olives, sliced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest (Optional)
- Place a steamer insert into a saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Bring water to a boil. Add asparagus cover, and steam until desired tenderness is achieved, 6 to 9 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add garlic and heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in olives and lemon juice; heat thoroughly, but do not boil, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Place steamed asparagus in a serving dish and pour sauce on top. Garnish with lemon zest and serve warm.