This mango and tofu stir fry dish comes with a sweet and spicy sauce for added deliciousness and is completely vegan.
- 1 (8 ounce) can diced pineapple, undrained
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 mango - peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 habanero pepper, stemmed, or more to taste
- 1 (2 inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 (12 ounce) package extra-firm tofu, pressed and cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, or as needed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 stalks celery, cut into very thin strips
- 2 large carrots, cut into thin strips
- 2 mangos - peeled, seeded, and cut into thin strips
- 2 green chile peppers, cut into very thin strips
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallions, or to taste
- Combine pineapple, broth, mango, habanero, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, and turmeric in a small saucepan. Simmer over medium heat, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Pour sauce contents carefully into the bowl of a food processor or electric blender and mix until smooth. Set aside.
- Place tofu in a large mixing bowl and add enough cornstarch to lightly coat all pieces.
- Heat a wok over high heat. Add vegetable oil to the hot wok; heat until shimmering, about 1 minute. Add tofu and stir-fry until uniformly golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer tofu to a plate and set aside.
- Place celery, carrots, mangos, and green peppers into the wok and stir-fry until they are soft and have a bright color while remaining firm, about 5 minutes. Add tofu back to the pan with sauce and combine well. Taste and add salt as needed. Serve topped with cilantro and scallions.