This award winning butternut squash chili with beef provides sweet, spicy flavor that is sure impress guests.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound cubed butternut squash
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (7 ounce) can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, or to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in onion and garlic; cook and stir until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add beef and cook and stir until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer beef mixture to the bottom of a slow cooker and add butternut squash and frozen mixed vegetables. Stir in diced tomatoes with green chilies, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, chipotle peppers in adobo, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and brown sugar; mix together.
- Set heat to High; wait to bring to a simmer. Cover, set heat to Low and cook, 8 hours to overnight.