The secret to these deliciously crusty potatoes is the pre-oven boiling in a salted and seasoned liquid. The potatoes not only absorb flavor and salt, but the pre-cooked potato surface develops great crunchy texture in the oven.
- 2 pounds new yellow potatoes, halved
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 cloves garlic, whole, peeled, bruised
- 2 leaf (blank)s bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- Place potatoes in a large pot with water. Bruise the rosemary with the dull side of a knife blade and place in the pot. Add garlic, bay leaves, and salt. Bring to a boil; simmer for 5 minutes. Drain; let potatoes air dry.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- When potatoes are thoroughly dry, transfer them back to the pot. Drizzle with olive oil, cayenne pepper, and a pinch of salt. Stir to coat. Transfer potatoes to a rimmed sheet pan. Bake until potatoes are golden brown and crusty, and the flesh is creamy and soft, about 35 to 45 minutes, depending on the size of the potatoes.