These moist, banana-dense nut loaves are delightfully spiced with cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups white sugar
- 6 medium (7" to 7-7/8" long)s very ripe bananas, mashed
- 4 large eggs eggs
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray two 9x5 inch loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cream the shortening and sugar until light. Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Add to the shortening mixture and mix to combine.
- Thoroughly mash the bananas. Stir bananas into the batter then stir in the walnuts. Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until a wooden skewer inserted near the center comes out clean. Check with a wooden skewer every 15 minutes after 45 minutes of baking. It can take up to 65 to 70 minutes to cook.