A reduction of soy sauce and calamansi juice coats the shiitake and oyster mushrooms in this sour, spicy Filipino dish that happens to be vegan.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, white parts chopped and green parts thinly bias-sliced
- 4 Thai chile peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound fresh oyster mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup calamansi (Philippine lime) juice
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil mayonnaise
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, and white parts of green onions; cook and stir until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in chiles and mushrooms; cook, stirring, until tender and excess liquid evaporates, 5 to 8 minutes. Add soy sauce and calamansi juice; cook, stirring, until reduced to a glaze consistency, 5 to 7 minutes. Taste and add more soy sauce or calamansi juice to reach desired tanginess and saltiness.
- Serve hot with a dollop of avocado oil mayonnaise and a sprinkle of the green parts of green onions.