This quick and easy, delicious sorrel and potato-based soup is simmered on the stove and blended to creamy perfection; serve hot or cold.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1 ½ cups lightly packed sorrel leaves
- 2 pounds potatoes, unpeeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half
- Heat olive oil in a stockpot over low heat until it begins to shimmer; add garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add sorrel and cook, stirring occasionally, until leaves are wilted and turn from bright green to a dull, khaki color, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Place potatoes, vegetable stock, salt, thyme, and pepper into the pot. Bring mixture to a boil, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool 10 minutes.
- Pour in half-and-half. Blend mixture with an immersion blender until smooth. Taste and adjust salt if desired.