This tasty homemade seafood stock is the perfect base for making seafood soups, paella, and a variety of other dishes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch celery, coarsely chopped
- 4 large carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 large green bell peppers, coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- ½ bunch fresh oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 ½ (1 liter) bottles water
- ½ pound fish parts (such as bones, spine, and tail)
- 2 large fish heads
- 2 cups clam juice
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large stockpot. Cook and stir onions in the hot oil for 5 minutes. Add celery, carrots, and bell peppers and saute for an additional 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro, oregano, and bay leaves. Saute for 2 minutes more. Add water, fish parts, fish heads, clam juice, and peppercorns.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low, and let simmer, uncovered, for at least 4 hours. Turn off heat and let cool for about 30 minutes.
- Remove bulk items from stock using a skimmer or slotted spoon. Strain stock through a fine-mesh strainer into a large container, making sure all fish bones have been removed. Use or freeze for future use.