Like bagels, these big doughy pretzels are first boiled and then baked. Sprinkle with coarse salt for the authentic look and taste.
- 1 ⅓ cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 ½ tablespoons white sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 4 cups water
- 1 ½ tablespoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water. Proof for 5 minutes.
- Mix in butter or margarine, flour, and salt. Cut dough into short strips, roll into ropes, and shape into pretzels. Cover, and let rise on a greased baking sheet for about 45 minutes.
- In a cast iron or other nonaluminum pan, bring water and baking soda almost to a boil. Gently lower pretzels into water for about 1 minute, turning once. Do not let water come to a full boil. Remove pretzels, and return to greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake at 475 degrees F (245 degrees C) for about 12 minutes.