Sofrito is the base for most Puerto Rican dishes, and this one is better than store bought (difficult to find in the stores in the Western United States).
- 2 medium (blank)s green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 10 peppers ajies dulces peppers, tops removed
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 4 medium (2-1/2" dia)s onions, cut into large chunks
- 3 medium heads garlic, peeled
- 25 eaches cilantro stems (with leaves)
- 25 eaches recao stems (with leaves)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- In a food processor, combine green peppers, red peppers ajies dulces, tomatoes, onions, and garlic. Add cilantro, recao, salt, and pepper. Process to the consistency of semi-chunky salsa (not watery). Place in a resealable plastic freezer bag, and use as needed, or freeze in portions.