This soup is so versatile that it works with whatever you have on hand. Use cannellini, black or kidney beans if you prefer them to chickpeas--or take them out altogether. Use spinach instead of kale. Adjust the spices if you prefer something a bit tamer.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 3 cups Hillshire Farm® Smoked Sausage, sliced into 1-inch rounds
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon paprika, sweet or smoked
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 4 cups kale (or spinach)
- 1 teaspoon Crumbled feta cheese or goat cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper, for garnish
- Drizzle olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the diced onion and cook until onions release some moisture, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, sweet potato, sausage, and chickpeas. Add paprika, coriander, chipotle powder, cumin, and salt. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Pour stock into the pot and bring to a simmer. Cook until sweet potato has softened, 10 to 15 minutes. Taste for seasoning; add more salt, if needed. Stir in the kale (or spinach) and cook for 1 minute until kale has wilted. Ladle into bowls and top with cheese, if using, and freshly ground pepper.