This is a marvelously smooth mac and cheese with a bit of a bite. My family loves this. I got the idea from a recipe made on a popular cooking show, and adapted it to my own recipe and tastes. Delicious contrast if served with a 'sweet' main dish.
- 1 (16 ounce) package seashell pasta
- 2 ½ tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ cups milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 4 ounces smoked Gouda cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a 10 inch casserole dish.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook until a roux forms. Stir in the milk, salt and pepper; cook, stirring constantly, until sauce is smooth and thick and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- Combine cooked pasta and cheese sauce; transfer to prepared dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until heated through.