This soup is a traditional vegetable soup with a little extra. I added homemade dumplings like my mom use to make for me. She made her soup with all the leftover vegetables in the refrigerator and then added dumplings. Good vegetarian soup without the meat.
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, diced
- ½ cup barley
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening (such as Crisco®)
- ¼ cup vegetable broth, or more if needed
- Combine 6 cups vegetable broth, frozen vegetables, tomatoes with their juice, potatoes, onion, barley, garlic, parsley, oregano, basil, salt, black pepper, and bay leaf in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low for 5 to 6 hours.
- Place flour in a bowl; cut shortening into flour using a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add 1/4 cup vegetable broth; stir with a fork until dough no longer sticks on sides of bowl. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface; roll out 1/8 inch thick. Cut dough into strips or small squares. Add to slow cooker; cook until dumplings are soft and cooked in the middle, 1 hour.