The traditional sloppy Joe goes south of the border in this tangy, flavorful sandwich filling recipe.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup minced onion
- ¼ cup chopped poblano chile pepper
- 8 ounces extra-lean ground beef
- 4 ounces chorizo sausage
- 1 ½ tablespoons red enchilada dry seasoning (such as Savory Spice Shop® Canyon Road)
- 1 tablespoon tomato powder (such as Savory Spice Shop®)
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 avocado, sliced (Optional)
- ½ cup shredded Oaxaca cheese, or to taste (Optional)
- 4 hamburger bun, split and toasted
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Cook onion and poblano pepper until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to a plate. Add ground beef and chorizo to the skillet. Cook, stirring often to break up meat, until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes. Add enchilada seasoning and tomato powder. Add water, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce. Return cooked onion mixture to the skillet. Simmer until flavors combine, about 5 minutes more.
- Serve meat mixture on toasted buns topped with Oaxaca cheese and avocado.