Purple plums and sugar are steeped in 190-proof rectified alcohol and vodka for more than 5 months to make this homemade Polish liqueur.
- 2 pounds plums, pitted and sliced
- 2 cups pure rectified alcohol (190 proof)
- 2 tablespoons pure rectified alcohol (190 proof)
- 2 cups vodka
- 2 tablespoons vodka
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- Place plums in a glass carboy used for brewing. Pour in 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons rectified alcohol and 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons vodka. Seal and store in a cool, dark place for 5 weeks.
- Stir sugar into the carboy. Seal and store in a cool, dark place for 4 weeks.
- Strain liqueur through a sieve lined with muslin cloth. Pour liqueur into bottles, seal, and store in a cool, dark place for at least 3 months before using.