Shredded cabbage adds body to this flavorful fat-free vegetable soup cooked in chicken bouillon with chopped onions, a clove of garlic and a can of stewed tomatoes.
- 6 cubes chicken bouillon
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, with juice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried basil or to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian-style seasoning
- 6 cups water, or to cover
- In a large pot over high heat, combine the bouillon, carrots, tomatoes, onion, celery, green bell pepper, cabbage, basil, garlic, Italian-style seasoning and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes, or until all vegetables are to desired tenderness.