Ground turkey shepherd's pie is huge on taste though simple to prepare with a few basic main ingredients including tender corn and potatoes.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed, divided
- 1 pound ground turkey, or more to taste
- 5 baking potatoes, peeled and quartered
- ¾ cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can cream-style corn
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onion and 1 clove garlic until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add ground turkey; cook until browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Pour off and discard any excess fat.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add potatoes and cover. Boil until tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain potatoes and let sit in pot, covered, 2 to 3 minutes. Add milk, butter, salt, and remaining 1 clove garlic; mash.
- Combine whole kernel corn and cream-style corn in a small bowl.
- Layer ground turkey mixture evenly in a 2-quart casserole dish. Layer corn mixture on top. Add mashed potatoes, pushing downward and spreading to fill the casserole dish evenly.
- Bake, covered, in the preheated oven, about 20 minutes. Remove cover and bake until top is browned, about 10 minutes more.