Onions, mushrooms, garlic and bits of zucchini are saut Eed until tender and then cooked along with the lentils until they impart their flavor and the lentils are tender. Tomato sauce and paste finish this thick, thick Sicilian sauce.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 3 cups water
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 ½ teaspoons white sugar
- ½ cup water
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, mushrooms, zucchini, and garlic. Cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add lentils and 3 cups water to vegetables. Bring to a rolling boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 45 to 60 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar, and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. If necessary, add more water to keep the sauce from sticking. Be careful not to dilute; the sauce should be quite thick.