Shrimp, snow peas, carrots, celery, and rice noodles are simmered with chicken broth flavored with ginger and garlic in this quick soup.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 cup peeled, diagonally sliced carrots
- 1 cup diagonally sliced celery
- 2 cups snow peas
- 12 ounces fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 ounces rice vermicelli
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan over medium heat cook onion, garlic, ginger and crushed red pepper in oil for 2 minutes. Pour in broth, carrots, and celery and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in snow peas and shrimp, cover, and cook for 3 minutes. Break noodles into 2-inch pieces and stir into soup; cover and cook 3 minutes more, until vegetables are tender and shrimp is pink. Stir in soy sauce and pepper and serve.