This low-fat shrimp bisque is packed with flavors of red pepper and tomato.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- ½ pound cooked or raw shrimp, tails removed, cut in pieces
- 2 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1 cup no-salt-added tomato sauce
- ¼ teaspoon hot chile sauce, or to taste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon butter
- ¼ cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- In saucepan, heat olive oil. Add red pepper and onion; saute on low heat until soft, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add shrimp, half-and-half, tomato sauce, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Add butter.
- Put 1/2 hot mixture in a blender and carefully process at high speed about 10 to 15 seconds, or until no large pieces remain. Transfer bisque into soup bowls.
- Repeat with remaining mixture. Sprinkle on Parmesan cheese.
- Optional garnishes: herbs and additional shrimp.