It's crunchy and sweet with a deep roasted nutty flavor, and makes a great edible gift if your family doesn't gobble them all up beforehand.
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup raw sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Combine sugar, honey, and water in a small, thick bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir until a smooth slurry forms, about 3 minutes. Stir in raw sesame seeds.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, until mixture turns an amber-caramel color, 5 to 10 minutes. A candy thermometer should read 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Remove saucepan from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla extract. Pour mixture onto prepared baking sheet.
- Cool until hardened, 15 to 20 minutes. Break into pieces.