Gibanica is a Serbian pastry with cheese that people usually eat for breakfast or with a meal at lunch or dinner. It is very filling and a great alternative to bread.
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 18 ounces queso blanco (fresh white cheese)
- ¾ cup vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
- ¾ cup sparkling water
- 7 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon grated Parmesan cheese, or more to taste (Optional)
- 1 cup cubed, fully cooked ham (Optional)
- 18 ounces phyllo dough
- 1 tablespoon Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F (95 degrees C). Grease a baking dish with oil.
- Whisk eggs and sour cream together in a bowl. Season with salt. Mix in queso blanco, oil, and sparkling water. Stir in feta cheese. Mix in Parmesan cheese and ham until well combined.
- Place 1 sheet of phyllo dough into the prepared baking dish and brush lightly with oil. Add the next phyllo dough sheet and brush with oil. Continue until you have used about 1/3 the phyllo sheets. Spread 1/2 the filling on top of the phyllo dough and smooth using the back of a spoon. Add the next 1/3 of phyllo dough sheets, brushing each sheet with oil. Spread remaining filling on top. Finish with the remaining 1/3 of phyllo dough. tucking edges into the sides of the baking dish.
- Beat together 1 egg, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon oil, and sour cream and gently pour mixture over the top of the pastry in the baking dish. Spread evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 35 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit 5 to 10 minutes before cutting.